The Medusae 3 Elite, Umbro’s latest boot release, is the football brand’s first ever laceless leather boot. It combines the touch and speed of the previous generations of the Medusae with an innovative one-piece k-leather upper. By stripping out the traditional lacing system, the Medusae 3 Elite really proves less is more.
Leather boots are part and parcel of Umbro’s DNA, with the Umbro Speciali an icon on the pitch since 1992. But the new Medusae 3 Elite is far removed from the traditional leather boot, with every element designed for functionality in the modern game. The Manchester-based design team spent two years perfecting the boot, speaking with professional players who asked for a lighter boot with an extended leather vamp for a better touch and feel for the ball. If an element didn’t add comfort, improve fit and feel, or aid performance, then the design team simply took it out. The result is a sophisticated leather boot that’s laceless and light:
- Umbro’s lightest ever leather boot, weighing just 170g
- The laceless upper is one large piece of k-leather vamp designed to increase the strike area and smooth out a greater surface area of the foot. The seamless construction of the leather upper over the forefoot creates a comfortable feel without any uneven surfaces for the foot to rub against
- An engineered knitted collar with TPU heat-welded support zones provides a responsive fit and enables easy foot entry, whilst maintaining stability and security in the heel area
- Debossed flex grooves follow the stitch lines of the iconic Speciali. They provide flexibility, whilst maintaining a secure ‘locked-down’ fit
- Additional padded zones in the collar and silicone grip pods in the heel provide extra security
- The lightweight and rigid Pebax outsole features a unique combination of conical and specifically shaped studs to ensure maximum grip and traction for speed in all directions. The stud position and geometry have been designed based on player feedback and analysis of peak pressure points during movement
The Medusae 3 Elite comes in a black, white, and marine green colorway and will be worn by Umbro players including Portugal’s European Champion Pepe, U.S. women’s team goalkeeper Ashlyn Harris, Peru’s Edison Flores, and Chile’s Esteban Paredes. It will be seen on pitch for the first time in this week’s internationals.
Initially limited to 24 pairs in each country as a reference to Umbro’s foundation in 1924, the Medusae 3 Elite ($225) drops October 19th and is available on umbro.com. It will be on wider general release early 2019.